What is Iron Shirt?

Moderator: Available

emattson

What is Iron Shirt?

Post by emattson »

Funny how this thread listed "Iron Shirt" in the topic header, but so few people mentioned anything about it so I decided to do some research.

Basically, Iron Shirt is a technique developed to protect the body from blows--as if he wore an iron shirt. A more advanced form of protection is called the Golden Bell Cover which can protect, eyes, face, everything. The techniques doesn't strengthen the body. Rather, Iron Shirt was meant to enable the body to resist blows. It was developed in China.

I can't vouch for it's effectiveness. One person (Basher) in a forum joked, "Buy a Jacket / Shirt with large pockets all over. Slip one of Mantak Chia's Books into each pocket and Voila.... you're now impervious to injury."
https://www.thedaobums.com/topic/30104- ... -practice/

It's possible that Iron Shirt could shorten the lifespan of anyone who uses it. The big issue is risk of injury or wasting time learning from an unscrupulous teacher. It's too complicated. My technique for resisting blows is speed. I run away from the trouble. The thug can't hurt what he can't catch.
Erik

“Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.”
- John Adams
richardaik

Re: What is Iron Shirt?

Post by richardaik »

emattson wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:03 pm Funny how this thread listed "Iron Shirt" in the topic header, but so few people mentioned anything about it so I decided to do some research.

Basically, Iron Shirt is a technique developed to protect the body from blows--as if he wore an iron shirt. A more advanced form of protection is called the Golden Bell Cover which can protect, eyes, face, everything. The techniques doesn't strengthen the body. Rather, Iron Shirt was meant to enable the body to resist blows. It was developed in China.

I can't vouch for it's effectiveness. One person (Basher) in a forum joked, "Buy a Jacket / Shirt with large pockets all over. Slip one of Mantak Chia's Books into each pocket and Voila.... you're now impervious to injury."
https://www.thedaobums.com/topic/30104- ... -practice/

It's possible that Iron Shirt could shorten the lifespan of anyone who uses it. The big issue is risk of injury or wasting time learning from an unscrupulous teacher. It's too complicated. My technique for resisting blows is speed. I run away from the trouble. The thug can't hurt what he can't catch.
I personally think it's practically the art of qigong. Learning to inhale and exhale while contracting and extending the muscle at the right timing. The shaolin monks does this practice a lot the hard way to be able to withstand a sledgehammer breaking the cement blocks on their body, or having spears on their throat while bending the wooden poles, or having a ceramic rice bowl stuck to a belly to be pulled by 2-3 person, having sugar cane hit on the body. I have hold an inch wide newspaper together with my friend before while a man managed to break his sugar cane instead of the paper. I can feel his impact (aka kime) was very hollow on the paper. The physics of air pressure during expansion and contraction.

All these breathing and timing are done in split seconds, not holding the breath forever to be pounded on. That creates restriction and it's considered unhealthy in TCM. When your qi is not smooth, your blood, nerves, muscles, and emotions will all be affected.
emattson

Re: What is Iron Shirt?

Post by emattson »

"withstand a sledgehammer breaking the cement blocks on their body"

I've seen this done occasionally during Boston's Chinatown Moon festival. On the Lantern Festival, Tiger Crane Kung Fu academy gave a demonstration with someone leaning against three spears on throat and upper chest. They're not sharpened war type, but could still cause injury if careless.
Erik

“Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.”
- John Adams

Return to “Conditioning (Cardio to Iron Shirt)”