Value of Fresh Foods. . .

. . . creating balance in your life through the use of food, herbs and the art of oriental medicine

Moderator: robb buckland

gmattson
Site Admin

Value of Fresh Foods. . .

Post by gmattson »

Ancient cultures knew the value of the whole, fresh foods they ate, and what to do with them. Like eating fish for better eyesight. Unfortunately, this way of looking at things with an eye on nature has been discarded and forgotten.
Today, we have all of these individualized categories of study being looked at by very smart people. But we’re not as smart as we think. The people who interpret the information often don’t apply wisdom.
And their attempts to outsmart nature run into predictable problems.
Vitamin A was the first vitamin isolated and studied by modern science. And until a few years ago, it was mainstream advice to only take vitamin A for your eyes.
Then we discovered a natural vitamin A precursor called beta-carotene. Pick up any multi-vitamin formula today and you’ll see beta-carotene. But that turned out not to be a complete solution either. Beta-carotene is a carotenoid, and can protect your own photosystem – your eyes – by turning into vitamin A. The problem is that if your body has enough vitamin A, it won’t convert beta-carotene.
Today, we are finding other carotenoids that are not only better than Vitamin A but better than beta-carotene. In fact, they’re up to 100 times more powerful.

So it’s a good thing we’re so smart now, and we don’t just recommend pure vitamin A or pure beta-carotene as the total solution. Because what you really need are these other carotenoids… right?
Not so fast…
My instinct is that we’re still only catching a very thin slice of that pie. The truth is they’re going to find a whole bunch more things next year or in ten years.
What we should learn from this is, the first thing you should do is get the right nutrients in as close to their native form as possible, rather than get them in a refined or processed form.
You’re always better off eating whole foods like wild-caught fish to get a baseline of nutrients for your eyes. Because your eyes depend on good, balanced nutrition, just like the rest of your body does.
If you give your eyes the building blocks and maintenance materials they need most, you can reverse many of the common symptoms of vision loss. And you may also prevent the major causes of blindness – glaucoma, cataracts and macular degeneration, or macular degeneration.
Macular degeneration (AMD) is a common eye problem related to age. It’s a disruption of nerves in the retina. This disruption causes loss of sight. AMD is one the leading causes of blindness in older people.
Researchers from the National Eye Institute found that it’s not just carotenoids or vitamin A that helps fish protect your eyes. DHA, one of the omega-3 fats found in fish, supports the nerves in the retina. Their study looked at over 4,500 people ages 60-80 and found that people who ate 2 servings of high-DHA fish a week were 50% less likely to develop AMD that those who ate no fish.1
Another study performed by Harvard’s Schepens Eye Institute found that the DHA in fish protects you from dry eye syndrome. When a person’s eyes do not make enough moisture, the dryness can damage the cornea.
The study followed over 32,000 people. Those who ate more fish had up to 66% less chance of developing dry eye syndrome.
Wild cold-water fish like pollock, salmon, and sardines, as well as calamari, give you the most DHA. And if you eat those, or a good quality fish like wild-caught salmon a couple times a week, it should keep your eyes in top condition.
Our primal ancestors knew this through thousands of years of practice. Native Americans would eat the eyes out of the fish for better eyesight. Today we know that it’s not just vitamin A but that DHA collects in the vital organs of the fish.
However, in today’s world, we’ve lost that knowledge, and have gone very far from nature. We started to “grow” fish in man-made ponds, feeding them foods that are not native to their diet.
This has produced fish that are too high in omega-6, with little omega-3 and almost no DHA.
So while I recommend food as the most natural way to get your nutrients, and a supplement should never replace whole fresh foods … it’s very hard to get enough DHA from fresh fish alone.
I used to recommend cod liver oil as a supplemental source of DHA. But a much more bioavailable and concentrated source is krill oil. Krill’s DHA is in the phospholipid form instead of cod liver’s triglyceride form. So the DHA can cross cell membranes better and get deep into the tiny blood vessels of your eyes.
Try to get at least 500mg of DHA per day, and if you can, get it from a pure source of krill oil.
To Your Good Health,

Al Sears, MD
1. SanGiovanni J, Chew E, et. al. "The relationship of dietary omega-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid intake with incident age-related macular degeneration
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
emattson

Re: Value of Fresh Foods. . .

Post by emattson »

No question fresh food is an important part of good health. The one major problem is that they go bad so quickly. I often purchase fresh strawberries but need to eat them all within a week. So, I usually process them. Freezing fruits will not destroy nutrients. In fact they are healthier than the fruits sitting in the store shelves slowly getting stale. Drying is an ancient way of preserving fruit and vegetable; little or no nutrients are lost as long as the heat isn't set too high and is done quickly. One of my Chinese neighbors hang fruit slices on lines to air dry in the hot sun. The one disadvantage is dried fruit has more sugar per ounce with the water removed. I use an electric dehydrator to preserve sliced strawberries, then break up the pieces to add to my trail nuts mix. I'm not a fan of store bought dried fruit because they often add sugar.
Erik

“Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.”
- John Adams
emattson

Post by emattson »

The Okinawans, who have a reputation for long life, eat a wide variety of healthy food. They eat a lot of kelp, which has Omega-3. Tofu is also an important part of their diet. Tofu is basically processed soybeans. Beans are an excellent source for protein and are used in Mediterranean-style diet.

Anyone who lived in Okinawa please confirm.
Erik

“Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.”
- John Adams
emattson

Post by emattson »

Once attended a seafood festival in Boston. What I love is watching cooking demonstrations. One chef commented that frozen fish is fine enough quality. He just want the fish to be labeled fresh or frozen.
Erik

- John Adams
Buckland robb

Post by Buckland robb »

I spend about !00 Dollars weekly on fresh foods I feel better function better tho it is pricier than processed foods
:roll:
emattson

Post by emattson »

One big temptation is just popping a vitamin pill is so convenient. I decided to try increasing my vitamin C intake to see if it will help me fight a cold virus. It didn't help, perhaps because I started so long after symptoms started. Instead of pills, I eat a whole red bell pepper raw every day for 6 days. According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), half a cup of raw, red pepper provides 95 milligrams (mg) of vitamin C, which accounts for 106% of the recommended Daily Value (%DV) for adults. Any more will just be wasted. Zinc is not so easy for a healthy all-natural diet. I'll need to eat 9 ounces of beef every day, or 4 servings of fortified cereals every day. 3 ounces of oysters have over twice the daily value of zinc, but I hate oysters.
Erik

- John Adams

Return to “Ancient Health Wisdom for Modern Times”