Dr. Al, Turning 58. . .

. . . creating balance in your life through the use of food, herbs and the art of oriental medicine

Moderator: robb buckland

gmattson
Site Admin

Dr. Al, Turning 58. . .

Post by gmattson »

I turned 58 last week and my staff completely surprised me with a little champagne toast on Friday afternoon.

The party my staff threw for me last week took me totally by surprise….
These are some of my favorite memories and I hope I never lose them. I’m sure you have those kinds of memories, too… and the same hope.

When my patients talk to me about the quality of life they want to have as they get older, Alzheimer’s is a big fear.
One thing I make sure to tell them is it’s a good idea to avoid aluminum whenever possible.

What does aluminum have to do with memory and Alzheimer’s?

I’ve written to you about how some of the “white matter” that builds up in the brains of people with Alzheimer’s is from a lack of oxygen and blood to the brain.

But, Alzheimer’s disease also matches the profile of a disease that build up from toxicity that happens over years and years. And the toxin that fits the profile for Alzheimer’s damage is aluminum.

Aluminum is one of the most abundant metals on earth. It enters your body every day when you breathe, eat, or drink. But only a fraction is absorbed by your body this way. And, we’ve evolved so that our lungs, stomach, and kidneys work together and eliminate over 95% of ingested aluminum.

But the amount of aluminum we’re exposed to today is too much for what we’re designed for. Now we get aluminum salts from new sources that never existed before: products like antiperspirants, processed foods and alum-treated water.
The problem for your brain is that aluminum and iron are kind of similar. That’s important because iron is a brain mineral, so your brain has evolved with receptors for iron. People with iron deficiencies often have problems with cognitive, language, and motor skills.1

Today aluminum is using the pathways designed for iron and entering vulnerable brain cells and causing damage.
No one knows how much or how little could cause Alzheimer’s. Aluminum entering your body this way is completely new to human evolution. But it’s another reason I will always choose not to absorb any more aluminum than I already get from living in the modern world.

Absorbing any amount of aluminum is harmful. But the way it gets in your body seems to make a difference, too. I came across an interesting study showing that you will retain 40% of aluminum that bypasses your body’s natural elimination pathways like the kidneys.2

If you want to keep your memories and your brain, and avoid the effects of aluminum as much as possible, here’s what I recommend my patients do:

1) Free your food from aluminum: Look at the labels on your salt, grain-based mixes, bakery products, baking powders, and candy. If you see aluminum sulfate, alumino-silicat, aluminum phosphate, or aluminum lake dye, avoid it. While preparing and storing your food, steer clear of aluminum cookware and storage containers and stick with glass, ceramic, stainless steel or wood.

2) Use a natural antiperspirant: Most commercial antiperspirants have aluminum salts in them. Putting them on your skin goes around your natural elimination pathways. Instead, I use stone crystal salts that are completely natural and made from mineral salts. These kind are not absorbed by the skin which prevents toxins from accumulating. They also allow your body to sweat out the normal toxins that are already in your body. One stone can last up to a year.
3) Take melatonin: You might know melatonin as a sleep aid. But in studies, melatonin blocks the effects of aluminum in the brain.3 Melatonin also lengthens telomeres, another possible reason melatonin is so healthy for the brain. Take 3 mg at night a half hour before bedtime.

These are just a few of the natural ways to prevent the threat of Alzheimer’s from stealing your memories. A great resource to discover more comes from my friends at the Institute for Natural Healing. They’ve put together an exclusive report that shows you specific steps you can take to easily fix underlying problems rather than just covering up the symptoms with synthetic “treatments.”

For example, you'll discover a key feature of the controversial Atkins Diet that could be a hope for curing this degenerative disease…

And did you know people in India are 1,300% less likely to get Alzheimer’s than in the U.S? You can get those kinds of odds in your favor… All you have to do is click here for a special video presentation.
To Your Good Health,

Al Sears, MD

1. Jahanshad N, et. al. "Brain structure in healthy adults is related to serum transferrin and the H63D polymorphism in the HFE gene." Proc Natl Acad Sci. 2012;109(14):E851-9.
2. Brown RO, Morgan LM, Bhattacharya SK, Johnson PL, Minard G, Dickerson RN. “Potential aluminum exposure from parenteral nutrition in patients with acute kidney injury.” Ann Pharmacother. 2008;42(10):1410-5.
3. Di Paolo C, Reverte I, Colomina M, Domingo J, Gómez M. "Chronic exposure to aluminum and melatonin through the diet: neurobehavioral effects in a transgenic mouse model of Alzheimer disease." Food Chem Toxicol. 2014 Jul;69:320-9.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
emattson

Re: Dr. Al, Turning 58. . .

Post by emattson »

Aluminum is widely recognized as a neurotoxin that hampers over 200 important functions in biology. At 1988 in Camelford (Cornwall, UK), over 20,000 people were drinking water accidentally contaminated with excessive aluminum. In a 10-year follow-up study, they found residences suffering more often from loss of concentration and short term memory. Other studies found dementia or cognitive decline for people exposed to excessive aluminum.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3056430/

The tricky part is knowing the safe exposure. Aluminum is everywhere in different form. The body's rate of absorbing aluminum depends greatly on many factors.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2782734/

Most aluminum pots and pans today are anodized, treated to seal the metal and make it scratch resistant. The process modifies the molecular structure so that aluminum is not released into food. That's probably why studies have not linked pans to Alzheimer’s. Aluminum soda cans are protected by a liner. Aluminum foil isn't sealed. If you unwrapped the foil after storing food for a few weeks and see it pitted, then large amount of aluminum had been absorbed into the food.
https://www.cancerschmancer.org/blog/fr ... m-cookware

An average adult in the United States eats about 7–9 mg of aluminum per day in their food. Antacids have 300–600 mg aluminum hydroxide (approximately 104–208 mg of aluminum) per tablet.
https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/ToxProfiles/tp22-c1-b.pdf
Common food items containing the metal are: pickling agents (alum), anti-caking agents (aluminum silicates), baking powders (sodium aluminum sulfate), and baking mixes (sodium aluminum phosphate), nondairy creamers, self-rising flour, processed cheeses, cheese spreads, tea, buffered aspirin and antacids.

Very little aluminum in antiperspirants containing aluminum chlorohydrate are absorbed--0.012%. If a man smeared a 1,000 mg of antiperspirants on his skin, he will absorb 12 mg.
https://www.cancer.org/cancer/risk-prev ... -risk.html
Erik

“Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.”
- John Adams
emattson

Post by emattson »

Wen-Hui Kuan, Yi-Lang Chen, and Chao-Lin Liu published an article April 2022 in National Library of Medicine. They did a study to determine if sweating removes toxins. They found that sweaty exercising is best for removing toxic metals nickel, lead, copper, arsenic. Sitting in a sauna result in sweat mostly of water. Sweat from strenuous exercise removes more heavy metal than urine.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8998800/
Erik

“Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.”
- John Adams
emattson

Post by emattson »

Turn out there’s much conflicting information about whether sweating cleans the body or not. I found resources which proves that sweating isn’t that useful in removing toxin. So who can I believe? These are the type of confusion which can make a man tear his hair out from frustration. Time for more research.

Sweating is simply the body’s way to cool itself when overheating. It consists of 99 percent water with some minerals. Taken at extreme, sweat cleansing can become dangerous, risking heat related medical emergency. What gets removed by sweat is water soluble pollutants, like heavy metals and BPA chemicals in plastics, but only in extremely small amount. Mercury, cadmium and nickel has been measured in sweat, but even when they were detected at levels twice the concentration in urine, it’s still very low total amount. Even an all day sweaty marathon eliminates less then one percent of bad chemistry you ingested in one day.

Much of the pollution entering our bodies are stored in body fat. Water cannot break them down, so they aren’t sweated out. They go into the liver which transform fat soluble toxins into something water soluble to allow kidneys or intestinal tract to remove them. A bit is removed through the skin or breath.

In conclusion, keep the liver and kidneys healthy to detox. Excess alcohol, fatty food, salt and sugar can harm the liver.
https://phlabs.com/can-you-actually-sweat-out-toxins
https://www.news-medical.net/health/How ... Liver.aspx
Erik

- John Adams
emattson

Post by emattson »

Thinking it over, I doubt sweating makes a difference in detox. A sweaty person urinate less, which reduces a way to remove toxin. I'm simply letting kidneys do their job most efficiently and not bother with the discomfort of sweat to cleans my body.
Erik

- John Adams

Return to “Ancient Health Wisdom for Modern Times”